What some Members Have to Say About Mishkan Torah
Some Mishkan Torah members have taken a few moments to write down their thoughts about their synagogue. Note the common themes in the remarks below.
- Many synagogues profess to be 'unique' -- Mishkan Torah is the real deal. I've never been to a place where I can be guaranteed to learn something new every single time I walk into the building. The most understanding, learned, and friendly congregation I've ever been a part of.
- Great synagogue and community. My children attend the school and love it. I like the dual affliation with the Reconstructionist and Conservatvie movements.
- Mishkan Torah has been the ideal synagogue for my family. My kids have always felt very comfortable here, as has my non-Jewish wife. By attending Rabbi Cohen's study group, I have obtained a deeper knowledge of the origins of Judaism and some understanding of how I can find meaning in the religion without taking the traditional writings literally. Bret Goldstein does a fabulous job with the Hebrew School. The kids at Mishkan Torah not only get a solid grounding in Hebrew language and Jewish history, but importantly, they all have a good time and actually look forward to coming to class. Holding classes on Saturday morning that run concurrently with Shabbat services has been a big plus for both my kids and me. Our building itself is a reflection of the congregation: informal and unpretentious. I personally find attending services in our more intimate space to be more fulfilling than if I were to go to a larger, fancier place. And I like the fact that neither members of the congregation, nor our rabbi, nor our cantor take themselves too seriously and everyone appreciates a good joke (and even a bad one). Mishkan Torah is truly a warm and friendly place. The warmth and support of the congregation in evidence on the occasion of my son's Bar Mitzvah was truly overwhelming.
- Mishkan Torah is down-to-earth and warm and inviting, and there are so many socially conscious individuals. I always learn something from the rabbi's sermons.
- I am the non-Jewish half of a mixed marriage and I always feel welcomed at the many family events held there, such as the latke party at Chanukah and the Tu Bishvat dinner celebrating fruiting trees.
- Mishkan Torah is a great, open, welcoming community! A really great place for kids.
- If you're looking for a friendly, welcoming synagogue, this is the place!
- It has been among the great joys of our lives to join the Mishkan Torah congregation. The members are extremely welcoming. The events are a blast and are often truly spectacular. Perhaps the thing I like the most is that a broad diversity of religious beliefs and practices are supported.
- We love Miskhan Torah. It is a down-to-earth, friendly congregation where we always feel accepted and welcome. Our children love the Hebrew school and are receiving a stellar Jewish education. We are very happy with Mishkan Torah!
Some Comments From One of Our Youngsters